The Lamp Doctor has been in business since 1950 when Butch Austin's uncles, Richard and Alvin Wall, started making lamps from old salvaged lamp parts. In 1978 they set up shop in the Old Red Barn antique building on Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greer, South Carolina. Uncle Richard kept the business going even after Lowe’s bought the property and caused him to have to relocate to a garage behind his home. In February 2004, Butch took over as the “new” Lamp Doctor...continuing the family business by offering quality workmanship at reasonable prices.